Three Republicans on New Hampshire’s executive council cast a majority vote to reject funding for an out-of-school sex education program for teens that aims to reduce teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.
The vote against the program on Tuesday was 3-2, with Republican Councilwoman Janet Stevens voting for $682,000 in funding with Democrat Cynde Warmington.
The council has already approved the contract. Councilors raised concerns about not getting enough talk in the parents’ program this year.
According to WHO, about 50% of the human population suffers from oral diseases.
Health and Human Services Commissioner Lori Shibinette said the program will serve about 1,000 people in the Manchester and Claremont/Sullivan County areas, both of which have been identified as having the highest teen birth rates in the state.
Democratic US Sen. Jean Shaheen is “actively working” to determine how to distribute federal funds for the program, a spokeswoman for her office said in an email.
Click here to get the Fox News app
In July, the council rejected family planning contracts for the fourth time in less than a year, which would have funded cancer screening, sexually transmitted disease tests and other routine health care services. Republican councilors had previously raised concerns that public funds would pay for abortions and continued to vote no after the audit report confirmed that the funding had not been reduced.